Hey Everyone! On Tuesday we put up a Halloween video on our YouTube channel. We showed you how to bake Dog Treat Jack O Lanterns. I have decided that I will now write a blog post on the recipe, just so that you all have a physical form when you recreate these treats. I found that the mixture was very sticky, so I did add more flour then the recipe calls for.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 small eggs
3 cubes chicken stock
Food Colouring (optional)
Dog Treats (Decoration)
1. Preheat over to 180 degrees (350 Fahrenheit)
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir until well mixed. Slowly add the eggs, water, and food colouring to form a stiff dough. Knead the dough with your hands for two minutes.
3. Form the dough into a ball and place it on a floured breadboard. Roll the dough out like you would for sugar cookies.
4. Use a cookie cutter of your own choice to cut out the cookies. (We had looked for bones, Halloween shaped cutters, or pumpkin shapes and only could find circle so that is what we used.)
5. Cut up dog treats for decoration on the treats. Use any shapes you want, and any dog treats you would like.
6. Decorate the cut out cookies to make them look like Jack O Laterns or any other scarily themed creature.
7. Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet.
8. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Remove from the oven, let cool thoroughly and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you are wanting crunchier treats, a trick is that when all the cookies have been baked, turn off the oven. Put all the cookies back on a cookie sheet and return them to the oven. Leave them in the cooling oven for several hours or overnight to harden.
I hope you and your dogs enjoy these treats! If you do recreate any of these looks, make sure you take a photo and either tag our DaisyPets FaceBook page, or use the #DaisyPets on Instagram. Thanks for reading :)